Help design next year’s T-shirts or a Crop poster. Bring your design with you to the CROP Walk or create a design in the ART CONTEST area when you finish walking.
If your design is chosen, you’ll get a free T-shirt.
Many youths have taken part over the years in the Art Contest in the parish hall, with the winning design appearing on next year’s new T-shirt.
2016's winner is Olivia Glover, age 12,
The past winners are:
- 2015 Hannah Gonyea, 14, Maynard
- 2014 Caitlin Terpstra, 13, Concord
- 2013 Henry Johnstone, 11, Concord
- 2012 Natalie Good, age 12, Andover
- 2011 Lydia Sancetta, age 13, and Hazel Edwards, 14, Acton
- 2010 Suzanne Wang and Vanessa Lee, both 15, Acton
- 2009 Yifan Zhang and Alyssa MacNeill, both age 17, Acton
- 2008 Emma Eliason, age 12, Acton
- 2007 Bryan LeBlanc, age 14, Bedford
- 2006 Nathan LeBlanc, age 12, Bedford
- 2005 Georgia Guttadauro, age 12, Carlisle
- 2004 Whitney Sharp, age 17, Concord
- 2003 Annie Peterson, Concord
- 2002 Nicholas Cunkelman, age 12, Acton
- 2001 Courtney Callahan, age 13, Acton
- 2000 Bonnie Petersen, age 10, Concord
- 1998 Chris Plating, age 13, Greer, S.C.
- 1997 David Ballard, age 11, Concord
- 1996 Hawley Tremblay, age 9, Concord
- 1994 Ben and Becky DeMott, ages 12 and 5, Maynard
- 1991 Mary Alice Barron, age 11, Concord
- 1990 Anne-Marie Wulfsberg, age 13, Concord
- 1989 Susie Corke, age 14, Concord
This year’s Art Contest winner is 12-year-old Olivia Glover of Concord, MA. Olivia came to the walk for the first time last year with the youth group from Trinity Church in Concord, where she also sings in her church’s youth choir and helps out with the church’s holiday fair in the fall. In her after-school hours, Olivia loves to draw. She is also learning to sew, and she acts in Concord Youth Theater productions. Olivia enjoyed being part of the animal ensemble this past summer for an MSSA camp production of “The Lion King.” She says she would really like to become a costume designer some day. And Olivia is certainly participating in activities that may help her to do just that!
Olivia’s winning design for the 2016 CROP Walk T-shirt features both a colorful list of activities for how to do the CROP Walk and reasons why others should walk in it. Asked how she had thought of this idea for her design, Olivia said that her friend had been wearing a list of things on her shirt at the walk last year. Olivia thought a colorful text list themed on the CROP Walk might make a good shirt design. Added to the bottom of her list on this year’s shirt, Olivia added the words “Because YOU make a difference in the world!”
Olivia and her parents and little sister Savannah will be at the walk again this year. You can meet this talented young artist at the T-shirt table before the walk. Find some sponsors and come join in this year’s walk on October 23. Or come and offer to sponsor some of the many young people who will be walking this year. Funds raised by the walk are used by Church World Service to alleviate hunger around the world and to help families who are victims of war and natural disasters. Twenty-five percent of the funds remain in the local community. These funds offer support to the Open Table Supper in Concord, to the Acton, Bedford, and Maynard Food Pantries, and to the agricultural work done by Gaining Ground for inner-city use in Boston. Come and join those who are trying to make a difference in the world with our area CROP Walk!